wiki:MSEReport20110415
Last modified 8 years ago Last modified on 05/04/2011 12:54:26 PM

Table of Contents

  1. Other Activity

Previous month PT1.2 - Mgt/SE

Current month PT1.2

Next month PT1.2 - Mgt/SE

Note: Please place an asterisk (*) after the percent if you updated this value in this report.

Task Start Finish Resources (lead first) % Complete Comments Last Updated
Database and Data Access Analyses Becla Jacek 150 node scaling: tests will be done Apr 26 - May 8 - all ready. Not much progress with documentation for PDR, expecting to focus on documentations in May. Collaborating closely with MonetDB, with our guidance the MonetDB team successfully loaded our PT1.1 data and run our sample queries, working on integrating with qserv now. 20110422
Scalability tests phase III (up to 250 nodes) 20110303 20110331 Becla Jacek[10%],Wang Daniel[75%],Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[5%] 40%* re-implement objectId chunk indexing; port qserv installation to new hardware; implement master-side result buffer elimination; prepare scripts for rapid testing. Tests will be done starting next week. 20110422
SSD Database Tests 20100802 20110224 Becla Jacek 95% Still need to finalize the summary document 20110422
Improve trac db documentation for PDR 20090902 20110406 Becla Jacek[10%] 60% 20110422
Write design document for PDR 20110406 20110504 Becla Jacek[5%],Lim KT[5%],Hanushevsky Andy[20%] 0% 20110422
Pipeline Middleware Analyses Lim KT[0%],Plante Ray[0%] 20110426
Pipeline Execution Middleware Scaling Tests Lim KT[0%],Plante Ray[0%] 20110426
Define scaling tests 20110222 20110228 Plante Ray[5%] 50%* 20110426
Create benchmark stage implementations and pipeline configurations 20110301 20110321 Daues Greg[25%] 0%
Execute scaling tests, analzye, report results 20110322 20110411 Daues Greg[25%] 0%
Pipeline Execution Monitoring Visualization Tool 20110222 20110404 Plante Ray[10%],Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[25%],Lim KT[25%], Pietrowicz 50%* Beta tool demonstrated for management feedback 20110426
Develop requirements for pipeline processing visualization tool 20110222 20110228 Plante Ray[5%] 100%* captured in Trac pages 20110426
Design/acquire/review pipeline processing visualization tool 20110301 20110321 Plante Ray[5%],Pietrowicz Steve[25%] 25%* Design implemented and show in conference call 20110419
Implement pipeline processing visualization tool 20110322 20110404 Pietrowicz Steve[75%] 25%* Implemented tool - adding features based on feedback 20110419
Demonstrate rescheduling of failed processing 20110222 20110404 Pietrowicz Steve 25%* Implemented rescheduling. 20110419
Define demonstration of rescheduling of failed processing 20110222 20110228 Plante Ray[5%] 100% captured in trac pages 2011-04-26
Create simulated worker failure mechanism 20110301 20110314 Pietrowicz Steve[50%] 25%* Implemented failure mechanism 20110419
Enable detection of failure and mapping to job 20110315 20110321 Pietrowicz Steve[75%] 25%* Failure detected and mapped to job 20110419
Enable rescheduling of failed job 20110322 20110404 Pietrowicz Steve[75%] 25%* Jobs being rescheduled based on value based in policy 20110419
Create Calibrated Image on-the-Fly from Raw plus Provenance 20110223 20110308 Lim KT 90%* Works, checked in, not yet publicly demonstrated 20110422
MOPS Analyses Axelrod Tim[0%] We have concentrated this month on further testing of the probability of chi-squared formalism for candidate track evaluation, and quantifying MOPS runtime as a function of source density and noise level. It is becoming clear that some performance issues are related to features of the recursive tree-walking algorithm which can be substantially improved without incurring additional compute costs. 20110421
Complete analysis of runs of FindTracklets/LinkTracklets? and OrbFit? driven by simulated DIASources 10/10/08 3/4/11 Axelrod Tim[20%],Myers Jonathan[75%] 75% 20110425
Estimate amount of CPU required for LSST MOPS 11/8/10 3/11/11 Axelrod Tim[20%],Myers Jonathan[75%] 75%* Performed findTracklets, linkTracklets runs on full-density data and prepared report on runtimes and data structures generated 20110425
Prototype key algorithms in MOPS design 12/6/10 4/12/11 Axelrod Tim[20%],Myers Jonathan[75%] 50% 20110425
Determine requirements for FutureMOPS that will satisfy solar system science requirements as sketched out in SRD 1/17/11 4/19/11 Axelrod Tim[20%],Myers Jonathan[75%] 50% 20110425
Complete DM content in LSR and OSS Dubois-Felsmann Gregory OSS review continuing. 20110425
Update star and galaxy counts 20100908 20110225 Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[5%] 75% Ivezic/Juric? analysis has been refreshed, they are awaiting one further specific question formulation from gpdf. 20110425
Extract values for Data Quality Requirements 20101020 20110225 Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[5%] 75% Still need to do a confirmation pass and update numbers associated with MOPS. 20110325
Review OSS to place under change control 20110316 20110425 Kantor Jeff[5%],Axelrod Tim[5%],Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[5%],Allsman Robyn[5%],Plante Ray[5%],Lupton Robert[5%],Becla Jacek[5%],Lambert Ron[5%],Lim KT[5%],Freemon Mike[5%],Connolly Andy[5%],Bosch Jim[5%] 75%* Remaining work is to review any changes that come back from the SE group. 20110425
Capture network requirements in SysML model 20110425 20110426 Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[5%] 0%
Capture cyber-security requirements in SysML model 20110426 20110503 Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[5%] 0%
Support establishment of traceability between LSR and OSS 20100901 20110505 Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[15%] 62% Isolated improvements to traceability in conjunction with additions
Establish bounding requirements in SysML for MOPS 20101206 20110318 Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[5%] 50% Was awaiting analysis from Tim which is apparently nearly complete now.
Revise DM-FRS Dubois-Felsmann Gregory Awaiting final version of OSS under change control to trigger a round of updates to FRS. 20110425
Restate existing quantitative requirements as constraint blocks 20110223 20110224 Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[50%] 75% Needs final review. 20110325
Update Structure Model Dubois-Felsmann Gregory
Update Structure Model to match revised WBS 20110223 20110224 Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[50%] 50% Need to update to final WBS from the MREFC submission. 20110325
Create DM internal ICD N2 diagram 20110225 20110225 Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[50%] 50% Needs SAT review and update to final MREFC WBS definitions. 20110325
Update OSS/LSR/FRS/SM traceability 20110502 20110513 Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[0%] 0%
Establish traceability of FRS to OSS (or elsewhere) 20110502 20110506 Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[50%] 0% Isolated improvements to traceability in conjunction with additions 20101020
Update Structure Model - FRS traceability 20110509 20110510 Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[50%] 0%
Review traceability with Tim and Chuck, clean up 20110511 20110513 Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[50%],Axelrod Tim[50%] 0%
Prepare ICDs Dubois-Felsmann Gregory Analyzed WBS-level interfaces according to SysEng? group guidelines. Camera-DM sector of N2 diagram sent out for review. 20110325
DM-CCS 20110103 20110317 Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[25%],Marshall Stuart[25%] 40%
DM-TCS 20110309 20110322 Sebag Jacques[50%],Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[50%] 50%
Camera CoDR report review 20110322 20110329 Dubois-Felsmann Gregory 0%
DM-OCS 20110317 20110411 Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[50%],Schumacher German[50%] 44% Need to present to DM and OCS groups
DM-EPO 20110502 20110516 Jacoby Suzanne[50%],Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[20%] 0% DM-EPO session held at AHM; significant progress in engaging larger EPO group in understanding what we need; regular DM-EPO contact initiated
DM-sites 20110516 20110523 Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[50%],Lambert Ron[50%],Barr Jeff[50%] 50%
DM - VAO 20110225 20110602 Plante Ray[5%] 50%* LSST-VAO meeting 3/26; VOEvent particp. 2011-04-26
Update App and MW Reference Design for DC3a, DC3b PT1, PT1.1 Allsman Robyn DC upto PT1.1 were merged into SysML already. Now considering PT1.2 design ramifications on SysML reference design. 20110418
Develop Performance Budgets, Timing/Sequence? Diagrams for Alert and Data Release steady state 10/14/10 3/22/11 Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[50%],Lim KT[75%] 50% Diagrams developed but quantities need to be reviewed 20110323
Update reference design - structure model traceability 20110323 20110325 Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[50%],Kantor Jeff[25%],Allsman Robyn[50%],Lim KT[25%],Plante Ray[25%] 0%
Update Infrastructure Reference Design Freemon Mike interface sheets now frozen; new requirements (actual values for the infrastructure requirements being worked on; work continues in parallel on design diagrams and restructuring of the internals of the cost sheet -- new 4/22 info follows --> we have been meeting weekly with selected NCSA personnel in the development of the baseline Infrastructure Design and will publish the initial v0.1 of the diagram to the DM Infrastructure Working Group next week 20110422
Update Mountain/Base? Network Design 20101022 20110301 Lambert Ron[20%] 50% Updated design to show increase to 100 Gbps midway in operations. 20110323
Update Long-Haul Network Acquisition Plans 20101022 20110225 Lambert Ron[5%],Kantor Jeff[5%] 25% Updated to show increase to 40 - 100 Gbps midway in operations and pay for LS - SCL infrastructure build up in MREFC. Started discussion regarding funding SCL - MIA during MREFC with AmLight. Meeting in Santiago May 2, 2011 20110323
Update Infrastructure Power, Cooling, Floor Space 20110225 20110308 Lambert Ron[10%],Freemon Mike[10%] 0% 20110422
Update Infrastructure Trends Document with our position (e.g. SSD, GPU, Advanced Processor Architecture, Virtual Shared Memory) 20110309 20110405 Freemon Mike[20%],Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[20%],Lim KT[20%] 0% 20110422
Update Computing, Storage Reference Design Documentation 20110406 20110503 Freemon Mike[20%] 0% 20110422
Enterprise Architect Customizations Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[0%] Initial version deployed and requirements numbers added to LSR and OSS. Developing specifications for second version. 20110325
Requirements and Design for Science User Interface Van Dyk Schuyler Work ongoing 20110419
Draft requirements, get feedback, baseline for review 20110223 20110429 Van Dyk Schuyler[50%],Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[5%],Levine Deborah[50%] 100%* Drafted General, Help Desk/Assistance?, User Workspace, Archive Browser/Query? Tool, Alert Notification, and Data Visualization requirements. Conducted two telecons of UI Focus Group. 20110419
Review with SST, update and re-baseline 20110502 20110513 Van Dyk Schuyler[50%],Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[5%],Levine Deborah[50%] 0%
Integrate into FRS and prepare system requirements change requests to integrate 20110516 20110527 Van Dyk Schuyler[5%],Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[25%],Levine Deborah[5%] 0%
Collate existing (best-of-breed) technology options with requirements 20110411 20110506 Van Dyk Schuyler[50%],Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[5%],Levine Deborah[50%] 0%
Review with SAT, update and re-baseline 20110509 20110520 Van Dyk Schuyler[50%],Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[50%],Levine Deborah[50%] 0%
Update SUI WBS 20110523 20110525 Van Dyk Schuyler[50%],Kantor Jeff[50%] 0%
Develop Apps Roadmap and Data Quality Plan Axelrod Tim 20110421
Develop Apps sheet of DM Roadmap 20101125 20110304 Axelrod Tim[10%],Allsman Robyn[10%] 67% App Status sheet developed, need more functional descriptions from Apps team
DM Test Plans Allsman Robyn No activity on this block of tasks 20110418
Draft DM Unit Test documents 20100930 20110301 Allsman Robyn[25%] 50% Updated SDP's DM V&V section to include test implementation responsibility during DC and Construction. NOT YET APPROVED by TCT/SAT/etc. 20101008
Draft DM Integration Test documents 20101014 20110308 Allsman Robyn[25%] 50% Draft is outlined and 75% fleshed out. 20101008
Draft DM System Test documents 20110309 20110311 Allsman Robyn[35%] 0%
Draft DM Acceptance Test documents 20110314 20110325 Allsman Robyn[25%] 0%
Generate Integration Test Cases from DM Ref Design Use Cases/Activities? 20110328 20110401 Allsman Robyn[50%] 75% Reorganized Ref Design UML to simplify creation of I&T Test Statements. Still needs updates for missing Algorithm and WBS blocks in theTestCase description. EA RTML output template is functional. Identified UML Usecases and Activities which need more detailed functional documentation. 20110315
Create Performance System Test Cases from DM Subsystem Requirements Constraint Blocks 20110404 20110408 Allsman Robyn[50%] 0%
Generate Functional Acceptance Test Cases from DM Subsystem Requirements 20110411 20110415 Allsman Robyn[50%] 0%
Update DM Sizing Model Freemon Mike Sizing model work is active and ongoing; focus has been on cpu, storage, and database requirements; concurrent work is ongoing with the infrastructure design (see above); once both of those are firmed up, we will move on to incorporating the new information into the cost sheet 20110422
Update Science workbook and explanation document 20110228 20110304 Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[10%],Axelrod Tim[10%] 50% Numbers and basic requirements updated in expectation of reorganization, final object counts. 20110325
Update Technology Trends workbook and explanation document 20110222 20110228 Freemon Mike[20%] 0% 20110422
Consolidate and update Computing workbook and explanation document 2/22/11 2/28/11 Lim KT[20%] 50% Consolidation complete; quantities and formulas need review 20110323
Consolidate and update I/O and Storage workbook and explanation document 2/22/11 2/28/11 Lim KT[10%],Becla Jacek[10%],Axelrod Tim[10%] 75%* Consolidation complete; restructuring mostly done. Please note: a lot more work has been done than originally planned - the model has been completely redone, it is much better, and more detailed. 20110422
Update Network workbook and explanation document, integrate into sizing model sheets 20110222 20110304 Lambert Ron[20%],Freemon Mike[10%] 0% Updated with REUNA being paid in MREFC phase. In discussion with AmLight? for similar for SCL - MIA
Complete DM Inputs to Risk Management, System Integration, Commissioning, and Operations Plans Kantor Jeff Reviewed Operations cost estimates basis with VK, DS. Developed options for other Operations funding scenarios. 20110421
Update DM parts of LSST System Integration Test Plan 20101022 20110307 Allsman Robyn[30%],Freemon Mike[10%],Kantor Jeff[5%] 1%
Contribute DM sections to LSST Risk Management, Commissioning, I&T, and Operations Plans 20100416 20110404 Kantor Jeff[10%],Allsman Robyn[20%],Axelrod Tim[20%],Plante Ray[20%],Freemon Mike[20%],Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[13%] 5% 20110421
Get MOUs with resource support/commitment from DM partners 20110223 20110419 Kantor Jeff[5%],Van Dyk Schuyler[5%],Freemon Mike[5%],Becla Jacek[5%],Lupton Robert[5%],Lambert Ron[5%] 0% 20110421
System Architecture Team Dubois-Felsmann Gregory Developing revisions to long-range DM DC plans. 20110325
Routine SAT operations 20100409 20110527 Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[0%] 0%
PDR final material preparation Kantor Jeff
Update PMCS II DM FDP project 20110603 20110609 Kantor Jeff[5%],Claver Chuck[5%],Jacoby Suzanne[5%],Krabbendam Victor[5%],Kurita Nadine[5%] 0%
Ensure all documents in docushare updated 20110603 20110608 Kantor Jeff[25%],Axelrod Tim[25%],Plante Ray[25%],Freemon Mike[25%],Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[25%],Allsman Robyn[25%],Becla Jacek[25%],Lim KT[25%] 0%
Create PDR presentations 20110609 20110614 Kantor Jeff[25%],Axelrod Tim[25%],Plante Ray[25%],Freemon Mike[25%],Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[25%],Allsman Robyn[25%],Becla Jacek[25%],Lim KT[25%],Van Dyk Schuyler[25%] 0%
Dry Run DM Presentations 20110615 20110620 Kantor Jeff[25%],Axelrod Tim[25%],Plante Ray[25%],Freemon Mike[25%],Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[25%],Allsman Robyn[25%],Becla Jacek[25%],Lim KT[25%],Van Dyk Schuyler[25%] 0%
Update DM Presentations for Final Version for PDR 20110621 20110624 Kantor Jeff[25%],Axelrod Tim[25%],Plante Ray[25%],Freemon Mike[25%],Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[25%],Allsman Robyn[25%],Becla Jacek[25%],Lim KT[25%] 0%
Conduct Preliminary Design Review 20110627 20110701 Kantor Jeff[80%],Axelrod Tim[80%],Van Dyk Schuyler[80%],Plante Ray[80%],Freemon Mike[80%],Dubois-Felsmann Gregory[80%],Allsman Robyn[80%],Becla Jacek[80%],Lim KT[80%] 0%

Other Activity