wiki:CCBActionItems
Last modified 7 years ago Last modified on 07/26/2012 01:44:53 PM

From: DM Technical Control Team

DM TCT Meeting Action Items

Last updated: 26 July 2012

3 March 2011

Done

  • Robyn will update the LSST Copyright acknowledgment record to include the median UDF.
    • Status: Jacek decided to totally rewrite the 'median' function so LSST DM Copyright no longer requires modification.
  • Robyn will discuss with Jacek that these LSST-supported UDF packages need to be managed in keeping with the provenance requirements of LSST Production Releases.
    • Status: the discussion occurred.
  • Jacek will prepare a proposal for the UDF Copyright acknowledgment comment block and provide it to the TCT for review.
    • The LSST-sanctioned, 3rd party UDF source includes a statement on the funding support by LSST (and other significant contributors).

29 Jun 2010

DONE

  • Robyn
    • will revise the Python Standards Document - language standards are being reviewed at project level.

10 March 2010

Still Waiting for Return visit to TCT

  • Jacek - will bring the DB schema change to SAT for review.
  • Robert - will host an Applications meeting to discuss 'On the Use of Global Functions" and bring results to SAT
  • Ray - will host an Applications meeting to discuss 'ON the Use of Global Functions" and bring results to SAT

Done

  • Robyn - will update procedure for bringing forward 3rd party software for use to ensure Mike Freemon is notified. Status: document was updated to include coordination with Mike.

3 Feb 2010

Done

  • Robyn
    • will install the new Rules proposed by Robert and accepted by the TCT. (Done)
  • Robert
    • will revise Rules: 5-12, 5-14, 5-31 (Done)

20 Jan 2010

Done

  • Robyn
    • will drop the infraction severity level of Rule 3-24 so that it doesn't trigger as a must repair Rule. (Done)
    • will add commentary to Rule 5-36 which provides more references on exception safe coding style (Done)
    • will add commentary to Rule 5-36 "Throw() may be used to indicate that no exceptions are expected to be thrown.' (Done)
    • will write a Policy statement discussing the Parasoft infraction severity levels and which of those levels must be absent from a satisfactorily passing Coding Standards Check report. (NA; Parasoft dropped)

13 Jan 2010

Done

  • Kian-Tat Lim
    • update the C++ Coding Standards document (aka C++Standards C++ Programming Style Guidelines) to reflect the rationale for rejecting change to 3-5 and 3-9.
    • Status: Updated 13 Jan 2010

4 Nov 2009

Still Waiting

  • Gregory Dubois-Felsman
    • to rewrite Rule Descriptions for New Rule 2, New Rule 3, 5-12 and 5-14
      • Status: Rules 5-12 and 5-14 were updated by Robert 3 Feb 2010.
    • provide additional documentation on Rule 3-10 -- naming constraints for functions which have '_' prefix. (e.g. _x() was cited as problematic)
    • may prepare a proposal to elaborate additional acceptable use of inline code.

Done

  • Robyn Allsman
    • update the C++ Coding Standards document (aka C++ Programming Style Guidelines) to reflect the approved changes
      • Status: Updated 11 Nov 2009; still needs updates from Robert and Gregory.
    • update the Python Coding Standards to reflect the 110 line length maximum
      • Status: Updated 4 Nov 09
  • Robert Lupton
    • to clarify Rule Descriptions for 3-3, 6-5 and 6-6
      • Status: Update 27 Nov 09

7 Oct 2009

Still Waiting

  • Robyn Allsman
    • will create a low-level Ticket to ensure that grandfathered non-radian quantities are changed to radian format in the future.
    • find a volunteer to write a policy statement on use of radians internally. The statement must include more specifics about what 'files' are required to have degrees.

Done

  • Robyn will prepare proposal for Coding Standards changes,
  • Robyn will check the WBS for appropriate location and select a directory name for ndarray.
    • Status Deferred. It was later determined that ndarry should be located in meas_multifit and then moved into afw when the initial design and debug has been completed.
  • Robyn will create a low-level Ticket to ensure the ndarray C++ macro conversion to another form is ultimately done.
    • Done 11 Nov 09 - Ticket #1019 was created.
  • Ray Plante
    • will write a policy to clarify the decisions to be made when a 3rd Party package is considered for installation into the LSST Software stack.
    • Ticket #1020 was created to track completion of this task.
  • Martin Dubcovsky
    • will write up his build-time code generation procedure for inclusion in the twiki
    • Status: attached to Ticket #1019 requirement
  • Jon Myers
    • will write up his procedure of creating and providing the distribution OOrb tar ball to the software stack builders.
      • Status: email reminder sent 11 Nov 09;
      • Status: completed 11 Nov 09; procedure added to TCT's 3rd Party Software page.
  • Gregory Dubois-Felsman
    • will work with Martin by reviewing the current use of C++ macros to determine if more simplification can be done.
      • Status: ndarry rewritten to remove the C++ macros.

6 May 2009

Done

1 April 2009

Done

  • Jacek Becla
    • will raise NotNull?? issue at Data Access and Applications Working Groups.
    • revise the Standardizing Names Proposal (done: see original proposal )
  • Robyn Allsman will take the changes suggested for the C++ Coding Standards to the Systems Engineering TCT
    • include the best-practice naming rules as 'Highly Desirable' in the C++ Coding Standards. Status: Done 11 Nov 2009
    • add new rule for naming of uncertainty values. Status: Done 10 Nov 2009

4 February 2009

Still Waiting

  • Gregory will initiate a review of the commit/tag/ticket workflow of code development as part of the DC3a post-mortem.
  • Robyn Allsman - draft a more General Policy on Software Acquisition. It should include statements on:
    • the preferred use of Open Source software;
    • how exceptions to the policy are decided; and
    • list of exceptions to the policy already approved.

Done

  • Robyn Allsman - find document specifying DM's original statement on 'use open software when appropriate'.
  • Robyn Allsman - check with Bill Baker and/or David Gehrig on robustness of operation automatically generating doxygen document directory
    • Status: it comes and goes. New Ticket (#1064) posted by Russell requesting documents for released packages always be made available on NCSA system.

14 January 2009

Done

  • Robyn Allsman - notified SQA team of responsibility to verify that no SQA verified DM code uses DM-disallowed Boost libraries; the requirement was added into the DM SDP/SQA Guideline.

5 November 2008

Done

  • Robyn Allsman - updated "Unit Testing Proposal" and "So You want a New DM Baseline Requirement" with suggestions tendered at meeting.
  • Robert Lupton - will ask Jeff Kantor about possibility of setting up a retainer contract for SWIG development for LSST needs.
    • Status: 4 Feb 09 - Robert spoke with SWIG developer who is not in a rush to get the contract written. Since we have no outstanding SWIG development issues, this issue will be raised later when needed.

1 October 2008

Still Waiting

  • Robert Lupton and Ray Plante will writeup their combined document on the Build System. Ray providing documenation on the Build system's architecture and Robert documenting how developers will most effectively use the system.
    • Status: 5 Nov 08: Still reviewing EUPS changes installed by Ray.

Done

  • Russell Owen will prepare a Proposal on "Standard Use of Pixel Addressing Converson Functions".
    • Status: 5 Nov 08: presented at TCT meeting and accepted as stands.
  • Tim Axelrod will prepare a Proposal on "Defining a single global coordinate system across individual CCD segments"
    • Status: 5 Nov 08: presented at TCT meeting; decided to direct to Applications WG for technical specifications.

3 September 2008

Done

  • Robert Lupton will annotate the list of LSST-approved boost libraries.
    • Status: 14 Jan 09 - mapped LSST boost functions to TR1 and TR2 availability.
  • Applications developers will design and implement the new Decorated Image .
    • Status: they are being kept up-to-date on the status of the Image by Robert.
  • Robert Lupton will complete the implementation of the pure Image API based on boost GIL and lambda.
    • Status: implemented but not merged into trunk.
  • Robert Lupton will report on FFTW licensing status.
    • Status: he did but editor did not reocrd for posterity.
  • Ray Plante will update the Open Source License to present the CCB recommendation to the Board for Open Source Licensing; it will be reviewed by the CCB prior to referal to the LSST Board.
    • Status: Being presented to Board at next meeting.
    • Status: 3 October 2008 from Jeff Kantor
      The recommendation for Open Source policy/license for DM software was
      presented to the LSSTC Board today by Tony Tyson.  I also provided answers
      to several questions from the board.  The overall results are as follows:
      
      * The sense of the Board is that this is the ³right thing to do²
      * The Board authorizes us to proceed with the legal due diligence on the
      Apache and GPL license recommendation we presented
      * The Board will vote on a resolution/policy once the legal due diligence is
      complete and presented
      
      In view of this, next week I will engage legal counsel to evaluate our
      proposed license approach and its implications, in order to be prepared to
      present this at next month¹s board telecon.  Thanks for all who provided
      work/input to create the recommendation!
      
      Jeff
      
      
  • Robyn Allsman will review the outstanding Past Action Items during each meeting to ensure progress.
    • Status: Done
  • Robyn Allsman will ensure that Ray and Tim agree to the Image Metadata and Pure Image API proposals since they were unable to attand complete meeting.
    • Status: Approved

4 August 2008

Done

  • Robert Lupton needs to provide a reprise of the Build Package Proposal ... especially since its implementation is well underway.
    • Status: Robert and Ray will collaborate on preparation of the Reprise of the Build Package implementation.
    • Status: 4 Feb 09: This is carrying forward in another item.
  • Robert Lupton Lupton's second iteration on the Pixel Addressing Proposal is held over for CCB review until next meeting.
    • Status: accepted.
  • Russ Laher will continue his code checker benchmarking.
    • Status: Russ has completed his review and is writing up his findings.
  • Robert Lupton is preparing the DM Policy on iterators.
    • Status: done. The iterator issue is equivalent to the pure Image API
  • Russell Owen will update the Image Metadata proposal to include the proposed header definitions for affected image types.
    • Status: completed. Proposed header defnitions included into Image Metadata proposal

25 June 2008

Done

  • Roc Cutri will ask Tom Handley (or others) if they have time starting in July to pursue the integration of Abraxas into the DM Build environment.
    • Status: Russ Leher took on benchmarking task.

4 June 2008

Still Waiting

  • Ray Plante will prepare a DM Policy statement on the essential conditions for Java to be acceptable as a DM implementation language.
    • Status: outstanding

Done

  • Robert Lupton will prepare a DM Policy statement on the pixel (0,0) reference origin.
    • Status: done
  • Robert Lupton will revise Kian-Tat Lim's Revised Package Proposal.
    • Status: Done
  • Robyn Allsman will update the C++ Standards Document to define the Typedef Syntax: choose a capitalized, camel-case name for all typedefs, with no prefix of the enclosing class and no suffix of T or Type.
    • Status: entered into Standards document.

7 May 2008

Retired

  • Robyn Allsman will talk to Craig Loomis who has tackled release management issue for Sloan survey and answered questions on how far 'back' to require provenance info for Release Build Verification&Validation: from compilers used, or from OS version, or from hardware, etc.
    • Status: No response to initial overture; will try again.

Done

  • Jeff Kantor/Robyn? Allsman need to refine verification chain from Requirements to Validation
    • Status: done ....but still need to implement hooks between phases.
  • Middleware Group will refine Validation Testing Process so that errors occuring during trunk and release builds are evident.
    • Status: Bill Baker and David Gehrig are implementing
    • Status: 5 Oct 2009: both production and trunk automatic builds highlight errors and send messages to relevant guru of failing module.
  • Robert Lupton will document the eups procedure to accomplish the desired pkg management result.
    • Status: documentation provided but more revision requested, still on monthly agenda.
    • Status 4 Feb 09: This is carrying forward on another item.
  • Add C++ boost.test, limited to 'header-only' version, not compiled boost::test library
    • Status: Approved by CCB; specified in UnitTest? proposal.
  • Robyn Allsman needs to define Coverage Analysis Metric
    • Status: Jeff said to defer past DC3
  • Robyn Allsman will update the list of allowable tools with the set of boost modules currently in use in the software.
    • Status: List available at Boost; however modules in use which are not approved still need to be approved; modules which are unused should be deleted if their utility is gone. 5 Nov 08: This was handed over to Robert Lupton two months ago.
  • Middleware group will add 64 bit support
    • Status: 5 Nov 08: available
  • Robert Lupton and Jeff will talk about setting up an umbrella contract to support work by SWIG developers to develop 'Standard definition augmented assignment operators' and other swig-related modifications.
    • Status: 5 Nov 08: need for this specific contract handled within *.i
  • Robert Lupton will implement a wrapper making VW invisible to application code.
    • Status: done Sept 2008
  • Robert Lupton and Ray will replace PACMAN functionality
    • Status: completed sept 2008
  • Middleware group will add virtual machine support
    • Status: completed.
  • Robyn Allsman will update the Standards documents as indicated in the meeting.
    • Status: Standards document was updated.
  • KT will develop the set of usecases which exemplify the varied uses desired of our package management tool.
    • Status: use cases provided.

2 April 2008

Done

  • Ray Plante will query JeffK about reconfiguring the existing SVN repository to allow anonymous check-out of the LSST DM software.
    • Status: anonymous checkout is available.
  • Robyn Allsman will prepare proposal for automatic coding standards checking after benchmarking of alternatives is completed.
    • Status: Parasoft purchased.
  • Robyn Allsman will propose coverage analysis tools required for validating the quality of the unit testing need.
    • Status: benchmarking of various coverage analysis tools still outstanding. 5 Nov 08: Recommendations for C++ and Python converage analysis tools presented in Unit Test Guidelines.
  • KT Lim will remove SupportClass method use from DataProperty
    • Status: done.
  • KT Lim will implement a tightly controlled DB interface within persistence for current DBs in use.
    • Status: this interface is composed of the DbStorage and DbTsvStorage classes. Done.
  • KT Lim will remove Coral as DB middleware interface
    • Status: done